Is Your Home Making You Sick – Here Is What You Need To Know

home making you sick

Posted In:

BuyingHome ImprovementsHome MaintenenceProjectsReal Estaterentalrental propertySellingUncategorizedUSA

When you get right down to it our personal health and well being should be top priority in life. Our modern world is full of elements that can make us ill but it’s even more terrifying when these harsh chemicals can be lurking inside our homes. These items may be linked to weakening your immune system and development of respiratory and GI problems. If you’ve been feeling off, here are 6 things that could be in your home making you sick:


If you have a home that was built before 1978 you might be susceptible to lead poisoning. In this era homes contained lead based paints. You should be particularly careful if you are purchasing an older home to renovate. Disturbing the old paint and creating lead dust is extremely dangerous and should only be handled by a professional.

Children can be more sensitive to lead poisoning. If you believe you or your family is at risk of lead exposure you should be tested for exposure levels immediately.

For more information on the dangers of lead visit the EPA’s website: 


Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. It is invisible and odourless and exposure over many years can cause lung cancer. If your home contains radon and you’re a smoker you are even more susceptible to acquiring lung cancer. The EPA recommends testing your home as it is the only way to know if radon is present.

View a map of radon zones in the U.S. here


Asbestos was once a highly commercialized and versatile product used for insulation and other building materials. By 1990 Asbestos was banned in a staggering number of countries however, to this day it still exists in the U.S. Prolonged exposure to the mineral is known to cause serious illness as well as cancer and even death. If you need to remove asbestos in your home you should only do so with a contractor who is licensed by the state for asbestos abatement and removal.


Mold is everywhere and it has been around for millions of years. There are several different types of molds but exposure to any type in your home can make you very sick. Some molds are more harmful than others and educating yourself is a great place to start.

Buildup of mold can cause constant respiratory issues like asthma. Long exposure can lead to serious effects like cancer and neurotoxicity. Mold can be found growing on walls or ceilings, where plumbing exists or inside windows that have condensation. This is easy to remedy by maintaining cleanliness in your home or enlisting the help of a professional. Keep mold out by reducing humidity, thoroughly cleaning and allowing proper ventilation. If your home has suffered from any water damage it is worth having a professional to inspect the area.

Check out the CDC for more facts on mold: 

Tobacco smoke

Smoking in your home can cause adverse health effects to you and your family. Second and thirdhand smoke is also a negative culprit to your health. The small particles of passive cigarette smoke can enter your lungs and cause damage to your body. Out of the 4000 chemicals found in cigarettes at least 70 of them are cancer-causing. Cancer is not the only disease caused by smoking, visit Livestrong for more information.

Home Cleaning Products

A less common known irritant to our health are the products that we use to clean our homes. Many of the toxic and corrosive chemicals we use to clean items in our home can severely affect your family’s health. If the dangers labeled on the back of the bottles aren’t enough, the inhalation and physical contact of these chemicals can cause skin rash, lung irritation and damage your organs.

A high percentage of these toxic chemicals are not even listed by the big name companies. You are best to use natural products you can find in your kitchen like vinegar, baking soda and lemon.

Check out the movie The Human Experiment to better educate yourself on the products you use.


Still curious? Here are 9 more items found in your home that could be making you sick.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *